As the quality and precision of reloading equipment has advanced in the last few years (AMP Annealers, AutoTricklers, Giraud Trimmers, IDOD Neck Turners, Primal Rights Priming Tools) Area 419 have watched companies overlook the core of the bench – the press. In late 2019 they began R&D on perfecting the precision reloading press – and we are happy to introduce the ZERO. It is the embodiment of our pursuit of ZERO tolerance reloading, with ZERO friction. The turret press also works toward ZERO variance in die setup. It will have ZERO equal on the market.
Milled from all-American billet aluminum and stainless steel, this press moves with the help of 14 bearings, including a self-lubricating linear sleeve bearing, guiding the precision-ground 1.25″ ram with less than .0006″ of diametric clearance. Each press is hand measured and fitted, mating the ram and the bearing, ensuring the most precise ram stroke on the market – ZERO doubt about that. The linkage system will also glide on bearings and custom hardware which will allow us to assemble the system with near-ZERO slop. The operation of the oversized ram, with the .75″ steel arm and
ZERO-friction knob will be unlike anything you’ve ever experienced.
The turret system will be secured using a, over-sized, custom-made ZERO-point pull-stud, and the turret will be located using an oversized ball-detent system. Changing the position of the turret from one die to another will require only a turn of a (supplied) t-handle. When indexing the turret, repeatability variance of the system will be less than .0005″.
The opening in the press will allow for sizing and seating of cases up to 338LM, and will accept standard 7/8″ dies and standard shellholders (we prefer the Redding). The press CAN be used for Cheytac-class reloading, but may (depending on your die setup and bullet length) require you to “scoop” the bullet into the sizing die and down into
the case before sizing.
Using factory shellholders there will be a small amount of float available to account for uncontrollable 3rd party tolerances. Area 419 will also be making and selling shellholders specifically fit to the system at a later time.
Area 419 have designed a decapping/primer-catch system into the body of the press, eliminating goofy surgical hoses and baby food-like jars. A simple slide-out tray (with detent) will make this mundane process smooth, simple, and unobtrusive.
We will ship all presses with a standard bolt-down plate, but will also have available Inline Fabrication plates for the system that will mount seamlessly.
- The zero-slop turret head allows you to change between dies, eliminating the variability induced when removing and resetting dies
- The turret head allows the press to work with multiple die-attachments (7/8 thread currently, 1-1/4 thread, and future unreleased stuff) without goofy thread-stacking adapters
- The available ram-stroke here is 4.4″, allowing you to use it on significantly large cases
- Total opening of 4.75″, with no unnecessary shellholder protrusion at the bottom of the stroke
- The extended ram position will be more repeatable than any ram-style press on the market
- More efficient energy transfer from handle to ram via bearing-guided motion throughout the system
- Adjustable/interchangeable handle setup for maximizing leverage/feel based on operation
- Internally contained primer-catch system, eliminating baby food jars and surgical hoses hanging from your press
- Made in America, from American materials